For removing or attaching a blade, we need to know which side of the lawn mower blade is up. If you have a big yard or garden, you just need to cut grasses per week. We all know that; a lawn mower machine is handy for cutting grasses.
Because it makes our work process very easy and we can do it very quickly with the lawn mower machine. But we also need some maintenance for our lawn mower. One of the essential maintenance of the mower is changing the mower blade. Because the unsharp machine gives uneven results while cutting those grasses and we need to change that blade in time.
How Do I Know it’s Time to Change the Lawn Mower Blade?
Unsharp lawn mower blades will cause many problems while mowing the grasses. That’s why we must maintain the regular blade changing period. Some suggestions will make you sure that now it’s time to change your lawn mower blade:
- If the running blade gives you uneven results while you are cutting the grasses
- If the blade is making a thunderous noise while it’s spinning
- An unsharp blade will leave some rough spots after cutting the grasses
- Blade balancers will not work well if your lawn mower blade becomes a dull blade.
- The cutting edge of the grass will be rough if the blade is dull.
- The manufacturer’s recommendation is to change the blade after twenty-four hours of total use.
What are the Things to Keep in Mind Before Changing the Blades?
There are some things to follow before changing your lawn mower blade. Let’s find out step by step:
- Wear safety accessories before changing your lawn mower blade.
- Before changing the blade, make sure which of your blade is up and down.
- Unplug your lawn mower machine before changing the blade.
- Make sure the lawn machine is calmed down correctly.
- Bring the bolt opener set matching the bolt size of lawn mower machines.
- Keep the children away while you are changing the blade. It’s better to work inside your backyard garage or in a workshop.
Everyone needs to maintain safety while changing the lawn mower’s dull and rusty blades. Sometimes a dull blade also can cause a big accident. So, let’s follow some safety rules:
You must wear blade-proof safety gloves before removing your dull blade from the mower machine.
- Do not forget to wear safety glasses.
- Please make sure the mower engine is cooled enough so you can hold it.
- Keep the new blade in a safe place.
- Then step by step, safely detach your old rusty dull blade.
Which Side of the Blade are Up And Down?
Almost 90 Percent of people make this mistake while changing the old blade of their lawn mower machines. People forget to mark or label the upside and downside of the blade. Sometimes the manufacturers label the upside and downside of the lawn mower blade with a sticker.
But the maximum time that sticker falls apart while mowing the grasses. That’s why many people get confused while attaching the new blade. But don’t worry at all, we will show you some tips to find out which side of the blade is upward and which of the blade is upward.
The Upside of the Lawn Mowers Blade
It’s straightforward to identify the upside of the lawn mower’s blade. Mainly the downside of the blade is sharp and cut the grasses. So, the upside of the blade is pretty much cleaner than the downside of the blade. But the main problem is with the new blade. Both sides of the new blade are shiny and sharp. But Manufacturers always stick a label that will probably help you identify the lawn mower blade’s upside.
How to identify the upside of the lawn mower’s new blade?
- The manufacturer attaches a sticker label on the upside of the new blade
- The sharp side of the blade faces typically downward. So, we can easily detect the straight side of the blade will face upward.
- Some latest lawn mowers have a great function. If you mistakenly mount the blade in the wrong way, it will not adjust properly.
Is the Right Orientation of the Blade Essential?
Many people think that changing the blade of a lawn mower is not a very hard task. But you will face some significant issues if you mount the blade in the wrong way.
Maybe now you are thinking about what kind of problem you will face if you assemble the mowers blade in the wrong way; let’s see then:
- Ripped Grass- If you mount the blade in the wrong orientation by any mistake, you will not get the crisp and sharp result after mowing the grass. Instead of it, you will see grasses are ripped positively, and that’s very noticeable and unpleasant.
- Ruined Blade- Regular blades have sharp side edges. It spins in the right direction and cuts the grass perfectly. But the wrong orientation of the lawn mower blade can destroy the blade. But also, you will need to change the blade after one time of use.
- Damaged Mower- Now, this is the biggest problem if you will assemble the blade in the wrong position. Suppose you are mowing the grasses, and there are some small stones on the surface. Then the blade is spinning backward because of the blade’s wrong orientation. It will start to toss those stones inside your lawn mower, and you will face the worst situation at that time.
Categories of Lawn Mower Blades
There is some major category of a lawn mower blade; you should noticeably need to know categories to identify which type of blade is your one:
CATEGORIES OF LAWN MOWER BLADES
I. Reel or Cylinder Blades
II. Deck Blades
III. Mulching Blades
IV. Lifting Blades
V. Regular Lawn Mower
Reel lawn mowers are the most difficult ones to change among them.
What is a Reel Lawn Mower?
Principally, reel lawn mowers are utterly different from those regular lawnmowers. These lawnmowers have a cylindrical nature, so this one does not spin upside or down. The machine keeps the blade flat and spins in a balanced way. It also doesn’t wobble. That’s why the reel lawn mower blade does not have any upside or downside surface.
How to Change the Blade of a Reel Lawn Mower?
It’s pretty hard to find the right orientation of a reel lawn mower blade for a regular person. If you have a reel lawn mower, then the best suggestion is to follow the manufacturer’s assemble recommendation or take it to a professional.
How to assemble the blade step by step?
- Step 1: Wear your safety gloves and safety glass before blade assembly.
- Step 2: Get the bolt driver matched with the lawnmower blade bolt.
- Step 3: Unscrew the bolt and remove the dull blade.
- Step 4: Identify the upside of your new blade.
- Step 5: Now push the new lawnmower blade upside and screw down the bolt tightly.
What Should I Check After Assembling the Blade?
- Make sure the blade is in the correct orientation.
- Check the bolt screw downed properly. Do not over-tighten the blade bolt.
- Perform a wobble test while spinning, and the blade balancer is up to scratch.
- Check it carefully, start the mower engine, and make sure your blade is not making any strange noise.
- And, be careful that the blade length is not too long.
- An unbalanced blade can cause an accident.
How Can I Reuse the Old Blade?
If you genuinely want to save a couple of bucks, then you can sharpen your lawn mower’s old dull blade with outdoor power equipment or with a manual tool.
- Wear your safety gloves and your safety glasses.
- Grab a power grinder and re-sharp your dull blade with it.
- You can sharpen the blade with a sharpening stone if you don’t have the power grinder tool.
- Put your dull old blade on a flat surface.
- Spray some water on the blade.
- Rub the sharpening stone on the dull side of the blade.
- Keep rubbing in upside and down motion.
- Continue it until you see the sharp edge of the blade coming out.
- Now take a 200mm flat metal file.
- Rub on the blade surface gently 10-15 times.
- Spray some water on the sharp blade surface again.
- For the finishing touch, grab sandpaper (500).
- Rub with the sandpaper until you get a satisfying shiny result.
- Now wash the blade carefully.
- Now you have a sharp blade with a sharp edge, and you can use it again.
We are at the very end of the content now. Our most important purpose is to show the lawnmower blade’s right mount orientation and identify a lawnmower blade’s upside. But we always suggest taking professional advice from your lawn mower manufacturer.
But If you indeed insist on doing it by yourself, please try to read our article carefully. We hope you will find most of the solutions here. We also showed how you could assemble your regular lawn mower blades step by step to make the process of your work easier.
Now we know enough information about which side of the lawn mower blade is up. We hope this article will be helpful for all of you guys.
If you want to know more about lawn mower maintenance, please comment on us. Our experts will assist you as soon as possible. Thank you so much for reading this article.