Your air compressor might be shutting off because of overheating. Besides, it might be an issue with your small power system or the bad centrifugal switch.
The air conditioner getting switched off for the compressor every time is a real hassle and we understand it. This feels really annoying, so you need to fix the problem as soon as possible.
And to fix the mess, you need to know what’s actually causing the issue. If you have a concern, such as why does my air compressor keep shutting off, read this guide because we wrote every possible “might be”s” here.
Let’s buckle up!
Reasons for Air Compressor Shut Off
As we said before, there might be different causes for different compressors. Your ac might not be getting enough power. Also, you’re most probably using an extension cord which is causing the damage. Plus, the compressor is getting overheated which is shutting the device off.
Let’s not assume things so fast. Below we found some relevant causes of this problem so let’s look at those!
1. Long Compressor Run
One of the common assumptions about a bad compressor is its longest running time of it. We mean, if you continue to run the tool for more than 10-15minutes, which isn’t its natural duty cycle, then it may trip.
It’s because the compressor can’t take power for too long and as a result, it might shut off every time.
2. Power Shortage
Another reason for compressor tripping is the power shortage. These are the reasons if you have a power bar or an extension cord connected to your air compressor. Truly!
The compressor needs enough power flow to stay activated. But if you don’t give it that and instead, you connect an extension cord, the flow won’t be proper. As a consequence, it will affect the motor and shut down constantly.
Moreover, the motor will also get overheated, which will lead it to cut the thermal.
3. Centrifugal Switch Stuck
This might be a little different from the above two issues. The thing is, every air compressor has a centrifugal switch in it. It works when the centrifugal force rotates the shaft.
The task of the switch is to adjust and shift motor windings to run windings. Now, if the centrifugal button is stuck in one place, it won’t switch the windings anymore. And when the windings aren’t switched, your compressor will face excessive overheating issues.
Thereby, the compressor will shut down.
4. Circuit Breaker Tripping
Well, sometimes there might be complications with your circuit breaker too. If the breaker is tripping continuously, your air compressor will do the same.
Among these common and usual issues, the compressor might face the below difficulties which can lead to the shutdown process. Such as,
- Your compressor pressure switch might be shorted out which can make the device switch off several times.
- The motor of the machine might be so old that it can’t take any more load and now it’s affecting the compressor.
- Unloader valves sometimes create issues with compressors that can blow a fuse or trip a breaker.
Solutions to These Issues
Now that you figured out the problems, let’s give you some solutions to them.
- Never use the air compressor too long. Make it active for 10-15 minutes. It’ll automatically turn off to gain some power and will start over again. It prevents the overheating issue.
- Always make sure the compressor is directly plugged into your wall outlet. Never apply any type of extension cord as that shortens the power flow. You can use 20 amps or more power outlets for the best result.
- If you find out that the issue lies in the centrifugal switch, simply replace it. You’ll find the tool in your near repair shops.
- Check the circuit breaker from time to time. Sometimes that’s the actual villain of your air compressor.
- Try not to use the machine excessively. Extreme use makes any tool damaged way faster.
- Look out for air leakages. The leaked air will make the air bleed out which will lead to a constant shutdown.
- Keep the air compressor clean and watch it work like magic for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my compressor is failing?
Well, there are many symptoms to know if your compressor is failing or not. For example, if the machine isn’t turning on/off properly you’ll know there’s an issue. Plus, the air leakage, tripped circuit breaker, outside unit shaking and strange noises are the warning you should check the problem.
Do air compressors have any reset buttons?
Yes, air compressors do have reset buttons. You’ll find this inside the machine. The size is modest and it comes in the color red. If the system is annoying you so much you can try to reset it.
How long does it take for a compressor to reset?
If you want to reset your air compressor, you need to be patient. First of all, try to find out what the exact problem is. If it’s confusing, then reset it. It’ll take more or less 30 minutes so sit tight and do some chores until then.
What is the most common cause of air compressor failure?
The most common cause of your air compressor failure is the overheating problem. If the tool is getting extreme heat in the motor, the whole system will get damaged. Also, this heat won’t let the power flow smoothly so the machine will get injured easily.
The Bottom Line
So if you’re still confused about questions like, why does my air compressor keep shutting off, you need to relax. We’re sure we provided you with all the possible causes that might be getting in the way.
You just need to find out the reason and fix it as soon as you can.
Remember to consult a professional if you think it’s not your cup of tea. We hope that individuals will do justice.
All the best!